Studio Y Fellowship Placement - MaRS Centre for Impact Investing
- Close Date
- June 28th, 2017
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST APPLY TO BOTH THE FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM AND THE PLACEMENT OPPORTUNITY TO BE CONSIDERED. YOU MUST APPLY TO BOTH THROUGH THE FELLOWSHIP APPLICATION HERE: studioy.marsdd.com/apply/
Want to join the Studio Y Fellowship and a Studio Y Placement at MaRS?
Studio Y Placements are opportunities for Fellows to work full-time with a business unit at MaRS over the course of the Studio Y Fellowship program. The Studio Y model focuses on work-integrated learning that encourages participants to apply the skills and tools they develop during the Fellowship program in their work. Placements are a full-time commitment over the 8 months of the program: September 15th – May 28th. Placement Fellows will be a full member of a MaRS business unit and will be accountable for their deliverables to both the Fellowship and the unit. Fellows will report directly to their MaRS team manager. Please carefully read the job posting and the fellowship description for an understanding of this dual role.
You can learn more about the Fellowship here: http://studioy.marsdd.com/studio-y-fellowship/
MaRS Discovery District (@MaRSDD) in Toronto is the one of the world’s largest urban innovation hubs. MaRS supports promising young ventures tackling key societal challenges in the Health, Energy & Environment, Work & Learning and Finance & Commerce sectors. In addition to helping startups launch, grow and scale their businesses, the MaRS community is dedicated to cross-disciplinary collaboration, system transformation to increase innovation adoption, and driving ideas to impact.
About Studio Y
Studio Y is a platform that supports young people in becoming top-performing systems leaders. Housed within MaRS Discovery District, Studio Y convenes young leaders, top thinkers, entrepreneurs, researchers, non-profit professionals and public bodies to tackle the complex economic and social challenges that Canada is facing today. In 2014, Studio Y established a fully funded fellowship to equip high-performing young leaders with the skills they need to accelerate their impact and tackle complex problems. Through flexible programming and experiential learning, the Studio Y Fellows harness the principles of entrepreneurship and social innovation to develop interventions aimed at influencing systems change in their area of focus.
Leveraging the MaRS ecosystem, the Fellows work within four cluster sectors—the future of energy and the environment; the future of health; the future of work and learning; and the future of finance and commerce —each with a focus on social innovation and systems change. This uniquely positions the Fellows to dive deep into issues within their given sector, while also uncovering cross-sectoral links
About MaRS Centre for Impact Investing
The Centre for Impact Investing is a leading impact investment intermediary dedicated to advancing impact investing in Canada. Since 2011 we’ve helped put more than $91M to work improving lives.
We are seeking a Studio Y Fellow to support the capital advisory work of the Centre for Impact Investing. The capital advisory team operates like a small consultancy in the impact investing and social finance ecosystem. As such, we typically work on numerous client projects at any given time. Our clients may be government departments, foundations, banks or other service providers and the focus of the work may cross numerous social issue areas such as health, homelessness, employment or refugee resettlement. The role will provide a Fellow a broad understanding of the impacting investing space in Canada.
Who are we looking for?
MaRS Studio Y Fellows possess a positive outlook and are smart, curious, energetic and engaged in the world around them. They are young people who have demonstrated leadership and engagement in one of our key cluster areas, are keen to develop professionally as Systems Leaders and are at the right stage to benefit from the program and the placement opportunity. Beyond this, there are specific knowledge and skill requirements for each placement role, as detailed below.
Studio Y Placement Fellow, MaRS Centre for Impact Investing
The Studio Y Fellow will have a dedicated manager that will provide oversight through the Fellowship but will be expected to work with multiple project managers and be capable of effectively prioritizing work across the team. The tasks asked of the fellow will mirror those asked of any Associate on the team.
- Support multiple projects on an ongoing basis. Types of projects may include but are not limited to: 1) Government impact investment strategy and execution 2) Foundation impact investment strategy and execution 3) Sector capcity building and convening through events and forums
- Conduct primary and secondary research and provide critical analysis on various subject matters to manager
- Prepare content and analysis briefs for internal team and clients
- Prepare client presentations in powerpoint
- Support client deliverables that may require work in excel
- Attend and support client meetings where appropriate
- Support development of project workplans and schedule meetings
Ad-hoc administrative tasks as needed (~10% of time)
- Ideally some experience in a management consulting role, in an investing role or in a role with regular client facing experience.
- Fluency in powerpoint (preparing slides to be client ready) and excel (basic modeling)
- Strong writing skills (clear, concise, free of grammatical errors) and verbal communication skills
- Strong critical thinking, research and analysis skills
- Ability to work relatively independently
- Ability to manage multiple priorities effectively and adapt to shifting priorities
- Experience in the impact investing / social finance market is not necessary.
The fine print
You must be eligible for the Studio Y Fellowship program to be eligible for the Studio Y Placements. You can find more information here: studioy.marsdd.com/apply/ You must be available for the duration of the program: September 15th, 2017 – May 28th ,2018.
What it’s like to work at MaRS
MaRS Centre is a vibrant, architecturally inspiring innovation hub with 1.5 million square feet of laboratory, collaboration, and office space connected directly to the Queens Parks subway stop at College and University. MaRS employees enjoy many perks such as:
- Access to a wide array of fascinating conferences and lectures hosted by MaRS.
- A very active social committee that organizes potlucks, “serendipity coffee” dates, the annual MaRS Summer Games, team building outings, and summer golf day.
- The MaRS softball team, yoga at noon, and discounted gym membership
- Indoor bike parking and showers
Our mission-driven organization is filled with passionate, smart people who are finding and turning the levers that will move the economic needle of Canada’s technology-based future.
For more about what it’s like to work at MaRS and why you might want to be a part of something bigger than yourself, check out our profile on B Meaningful.
General office environment with operating business hours of 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
Applications are due by 11:59am Eastern Time on June 28, 2017.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Ontario.
MaRS Discovery District is committed to diversity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including aboriginal persons, francophones, members of sexual minority groups, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and women. We will provide any requested accommodation to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.