Studio Y Fellowship Placement - Partnerships and Corporate Development
- Close Date
- June 28th, 2017
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST APPLY TO BOTH THE FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM AND THE PLACEMENT OPPORTUNITY TO BE CONSIDERED. YOU MUST APPLY TO BOTH THROUGH THE FELLOWSHIP APPLICATION HERE: studioy.marsdd.com/apply/
Want to join the Studio Y Fellowship and a Studio Y Placement at MaRS?
Studio Y Placements are opportunities for Fellows to work full-time with a business unit at MaRS over the course of the Studio Y Fellowship program. The Studio Y model focuses on work-integrated learning that encourages participants to apply the skills and tools they develop during the Fellowship program in their work. Placements are a full-time commitment over the 8 months of the program: September 15th – May 28th. Placement Fellows will be a full member of a MaRS business unit and will be accountable for their deliverables to both the Fellowship and the unit. Fellows will report directly to their MaRS team manager. Please carefully read the job posting and the fellowship description for an understanding of this dual role.
You can learn more about the Fellowship here: http://studioy.marsdd.com/studio-y-fellowship/
MaRS Discovery District (@MaRSDD) in Toronto is the one of the world’s largest urban innovation hubs. MaRS supports promising young ventures tackling key societal challenges in the Health, Energy & Environment, Work & Learning and Finance & Commerce sectors. In addition to helping startups launch, grow and scale their businesses, the MaRS community is dedicated to cross-disciplinary collaboration, system transformation to increase innovation adoption, and driving ideas to impact.
About Studio Y
Studio Y is a platform that supports young people in becoming top-performing systems leaders. Housed within MaRS Discovery District, Studio Y convenes young leaders, top thinkers, entrepreneurs, researchers, non-profit professionals and public bodies to tackle the complex economic and social challenges that Canada is facing today. In 2014, Studio Y established a fully funded fellowship to equip high-performing young leaders with the skills they need to accelerate their impact and tackle complex problems. Through flexible programming and experiential learning, the Studio Y Fellows harness the principles of entrepreneurship and social innovation to develop interventions aimed at influencing systems change in their area of focus.
Leveraging the MaRS ecosystem, the Fellows work within four cluster sectors—the future of energy and the environment; the future of health; the future of work and learning; and the future of finance and commerce —each with a focus on social innovation and systems change. This uniquely positions the Fellows to dive deep into issues within their given sector, while also uncovering cross-sectoral links
About Partnerships and Corporate Development and MaRS Data Catalyst
About MaRS Partnerships and Corporate Development
The MaRS Partnerships team is one of the core engines of MaRS. We work to engage, develop, and maintain key relationships with strategic partners, donors, and stakeholders which enable us to accomplish our bold mission. We share the mission and model of MaRS with international audiences, governments, academics, and investors with the goal of bringing more focus, impact, and attention to Canadian innovators and ventures. We also work with our colleagues on strategic and operating planning, to ensure that everything we do is driving toward achieving our bold goals.
About MaRS Data Catalyst
Data Catalyst believes that seamless access to high-value data and insights can make the world a better place to live, work, and learn. We’re working to solve complex and important problems by acting as a trusted and neutral third party that connects people and data. We are tracking the innovation economy by tracking Ontario companies, investors, talent and markets over time, sector and location. We help companies to scale and the ecosystem to grow. We help to accelerate innovation in energy and health by removing barriers and creating systems for consumers to access and share data. This creates new marketplaces for innovative solutions.
Who are we looking for?
MaRS Studio Y Fellows possess a positive outlook and are smart, curious, energetic and engaged in the world around them. They are young people who have demonstrated leadership and engagement in one of our key cluster areas, are keen to develop professionally as Systems Leaders and are at the right stage to benefit from the program and the placement opportunity. Beyond this, there are specific knowledge and skill requirements for each placement role, as detailed below.
Studio Y Placement Fellow, Partnerships and Coorporate Development/ Data Catalyst
- The Placement Fellow will support the development and evolution of MaRS’ overall impact framework as well as specific metrics to ensure the quality and effectiveness of programs at MaRS. The fellow will be enabled to accomplish a variety of tasks, from goal-setting, research and development, analysis and reporting.
- The Fellow will support the development of evaluation plans and frameworks for existing and new programs, creating a monitoring and evaluation system, processes and tools, and contribute to the measuring, analyzing and reporting metrics.
- The Fellow will support the completion of a jurisdiction scan of metrics in the innovation economy to identify how other jurisdictions assess systems change impact of programs, build a reporting/tracking system for process metrics, and design and development of data collection activities.
- The Fellow will provide assistance to program staff across the demand-side programs of MaRS, thereby receiving the opportunity to learn about MaRS program development and implementation, and gain an understanding of MaRS systems change work.
- Post-secondary degree in research, global affairs, health programming and evaluation (or comparable program in other fields), communications, user design, or similar experience.
i. Necessary skills or experience
- Proficiency in Office Suite and Excel (Pivot tables, VLookup, and other formulas)
- Some understanding of statistics, and/or epidemiology
- Some understanding of evaluation methodologies
- Demonstrated writing ability, with examples that they can share
- Stakeholder engagement and management skills
- Team player with good interpersonal skills
- Exceptional planning, time management, and organizational skills
- Excellent communications and organizational skills – oral, written, and presentation skills
- Ability to multi-task, comfortable working in a fast-paced, high energy environment
- Maturity and high level of personal integrity
- Self motivated- able to work independently with personal accountability and commitment to achieving and exceeding goals and objectives
ii. Preferred skills or experience
- Understanding and/or experience in research methodologies (qualitative and quantitative)
- Knowledge and experience in evaluation methodologies
- Qualitative research (e.g., interview, focus group, consultation, qualitative coding) experience
The fine print
You must be eligible for the Studio Y Fellowship program to be eligible for the Studio Y Placements. You can find more information here: studioy.marsdd.com/apply/ You must be available for the duration of the program: September 15th, 2017 – May 28th ,2018.
What it’s like to work at MaRS
MaRS Centre is a vibrant, architecturally inspiring innovation hub with 1.5 million square feet of laboratory, collaboration, and office space connected directly to the Queens Parks subway stop at College and University. MaRS employees enjoy many perks such as:
- Access to a wide array of fascinating conferences and lectures hosted by MaRS.
- A very active social committee that organizes potlucks, “serendipity coffee” dates, the annual MaRS Summer Games, team building outings, and summer golf day.
- The MaRS softball team, yoga at noon, and discounted gym membership
- Indoor bike parking and showers
Our mission-driven organization is filled with passionate, smart people who are finding and turning the levers that will move the economic needle of Canada’s technology-based future.
For more about what it’s like to work at MaRS and why you might want to be a part of something bigger than yourself, check out our profile on B Meaningful.
General office environment with operating business hours of 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
Applications are due by 11:59am Eastern Time on June 28th, 2017.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Ontario.
MaRS Discovery District is committed to diversity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including aboriginal persons, francophones, members of sexual minority groups, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and women. We will provide any requested accommodation to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.