Studio Y Fellowship Placement - MaRS Corporate and Venture Programs
- Close Date
- June 28th, 2017
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST APPLY TO BOTH THE FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM AND THE PLACEMENT OPPORTUNITY TO BE CONSIDERED. YOU MUST APPLY TO BOTH THROUGH THE FELLOWSHIP APPLICATION HERE: studioy.marsdd.com/apply/
Want to join the Studio Y Fellowship and a Studio Y Placement at MaRS?
Studio Y Placements are opportunities for Fellows to work full-time with a business unit at MaRS over the course of the Studio Y Fellowship program. The Studio Y model focuses on work-integrated learning that encourages participants to apply the skills and tools they develop during the Fellowship program in their work. Placements are a full-time commitment over the 8 months of the program: September 15th – May 28th. Placement Fellows will be a full member of a MaRS business unit and will be accountable for their deliverables to both the Fellowship and the unit. Fellows will report directly to their MaRS team manager. Please carefully read the job posting and the fellowship description for an understanding of this dual role.
You can learn more about the Fellowship here: http://studioy.marsdd.com/studio-y-fellowship/
MaRS Discovery District (@MaRSDD) in Toronto is the one of the world’s largest urban innovation hubs. MaRS supports promising young ventures tackling key societal challenges in the Health, Energy & Environment, Work & Learning and Finance & Commerce sectors. In addition to helping startups launch, grow and scale their businesses, the MaRS community is dedicated to cross-disciplinary collaboration, system transformation to increase innovation adoption, and driving ideas to impact.
About Studio Y
Studio Y is a platform that supports young people in becoming top-performing systems leaders. Housed within MaRS Discovery District, Studio Y convenes young leaders, top thinkers, entrepreneurs, researchers, non-profit professionals and public bodies to tackle the complex economic and social challenges that Canada is facing today. In 2014, Studio Y established a fully funded fellowship to equip high-performing young leaders with the skills they need to accelerate their impact and tackle complex problems. Through flexible programming and experiential learning, the Studio Y Fellows harness the principles of entrepreneurship and social innovation to develop interventions aimed at influencing systems change in their area of focus.
Leveraging the MaRS ecosystem, the Fellows work within four cluster sectors—the future of energy and the environment; the future of health; the future of work and learning; and the future of finance and commerce —each with a focus on social innovation and systems change. This uniquely positions the Fellows to dive deep into issues within their given sector, while also uncovering cross-sectoral links
About MaRS Venture & Corporate Programs
MaRS Venture and Corporate programs are seeking a Studio Y fellow to support their teams by offering a systems lens to guide and evaluate program development, management, and measurement. Reporting to the Venture Programs team, this role will act as a key contributor to two strategic and developing areas of MaRS:
MaRS Corporate Engagement team is relatively new, but MaRS has been operating corporate partnerships for 3+ years. The main element of any partnership, has been introductions to a curated pipeline of MaRS ventures involving invitations to quarterly pitch showcases.
MaRS Start Program team is responsible for the redesign and implementation of the new Start Program to better serve and cultivate early stage entrepreneurs in a low-to-mid-touch service offering. Our baseline service offering includes access to curated programs and services as well volunteer advisory support.
This role will provide the fellow insight into unique data and will play an integral role in helping our teams improve the work that we do with ventures by measuring impact and outcomes.
Who are we looking for?
MaRS Studio Y Fellows possess a positive outlook and are smart, curious, energetic and engaged in the world around them. They are young people who have demonstrated leadership and engagement in one of our key cluster areas, are keen to develop professionally as Systems Leaders and are at the right stage to benefit from the program and the placement opportunity. Beyond this, there are specific knowledge and skill requirements for each placement role, as detailed below.
Studio Y Placement Fellow, MaRS Venture and Corporate Programs –
These team are looking for an analyst to guide and evaluate program practices and measure their ongoing impact on ventures and partners. Desired outcomes include the development of user-centric processes and blending of systems thinking and frameworks into program execution overall. Responsibilities include:
- Reviewing efficacy of programs and developing comprehensive assessments of their current practices, including inclusion and accessibility.
- Collecting and analyzing raw data to measure impact of current programming, writing up key insights and providing recommendations for improvement.
- Developing program evaluation frameworks to track impact of work going forward.
- Some general administrative duties and support on other projects as required.
- Highly developed analytical and data management capabilities with ability to solve complex problems
- Collaborative team player who thrives on coordinating and interacting with a diverse set of stakeholders on multiple projects and is able to manage shifting priorities
- Exceptional communications skills – oral, written, and presentation
- Professional and task oriented with high attention to detail
- Easily adapts to new/additional responsibilities and learning new job-related skills
- Passionate about systems change, entrepreneurship and venture success
- Understanding of corporate innovation and experience conducting primary market research are an asset
- Strong project manager: Identifies, monitors and collaborates to resolve issues and barriers in project management timelines and milestones
The fine print
You must be eligible for the Studio Y Fellowship program to be eligible for the Studio Y Placements. You can find more information here: studioy.marsdd.com/apply/ . You must be available for the duration of the program: September 15th, 2017 – May 28th ,2018.
What it’s like to work at MaRS
MaRS Centre is a vibrant, architecturally inspiring innovation hub with 1.5 million square feet of laboratory, collaboration, and office space connected directly to the Queens Parks subway stop at College and University. MaRS employees enjoy many perks such as:
- Access to a wide array of fascinating conferences and lectures hosted by MaRS.
- A very active social committee that organizes potlucks, “serendipity coffee” dates, the annual MaRS Summer Games, team building outings, and summer golf day.
- The MaRS softball team, yoga at noon, and discounted gym membership
- Indoor bike parking and showers
Our mission-driven organization is filled with passionate, smart people who are finding and turning the levers that will move the economic needle of Canada’s technology-based future.
For more about what it’s like to work at MaRS and why you might want to be a part of something bigger than yourself, check out our profile on B Meaningful.
General office environment with operating business hours of 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
Applications are due by 11:59am Eastern Time on June 28, 2017.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Ontario.
MaRS Discovery District is committed to diversity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including aboriginal persons, francophones, members of sexual minority groups, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and women. We will provide any requested accommodation to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.