Studio Y Fellowship Placement - MaRS Excellence in Clinical Innovation & Tech Evaluation, EXCITE
- Close Date
- June 28th, 2017
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST APPLY TO BOTH THE FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM AND THE PLACEMENT OPPORTUNITY TO BE CONSIDERED. YOU MUST APPLY TO BOTH THROUGH THE FELLOWSHIP APPLICATION HERE: studioy.marsdd.com/apply/
Want to join the Studio Y Fellowship and a Studio Y Placement at MaRS?
Studio Y Placements are opportunities for Fellows to work full-time with a business unit at MaRS over the course of the Studio Y Fellowship program. The Studio Y model focuses on work-integrated learning that encourages participants to apply the skills and tools they develop during the Fellowship program in their work. Placements are a full-time commitment over the 8 months of the program: September 15th – May 28th. Placement Fellows will be a full member of a MaRS business unit and will be accountable for their deliverables to both the Fellowship and the unit. Fellows will report directly to their MaRS team manager. Please carefully read the job posting and the fellowship description for an understanding of this dual role.
You can learn more about the Fellowship here: http://studioy.marsdd.com/studio-y-fellowship/
MaRS Discovery District (@MaRSDD) in Toronto is the one of the world’s largest urban innovation hubs. MaRS supports promising young ventures tackling key societal challenges in the Health, Energy & Environment, Work & Learning and Finance & Commerce sectors. In addition to helping startups launch, grow and scale their businesses, the MaRS community is dedicated to cross-disciplinary collaboration, system transformation to increase innovation adoption, and driving ideas to impact.
About Studio Y
Studio Y is a platform that supports young people in becoming top-performing systems leaders. Housed within MaRS Discovery District, Studio Y convenes young leaders, top thinkers, entrepreneurs, researchers, non-profit professionals and public bodies to tackle the complex economic and social challenges that Canada is facing today. In 2014, Studio Y established a fully funded fellowship to equip high-performing young leaders with the skills they need to accelerate their impact and tackle complex problems. Through flexible programming and experiential learning, the Studio Y Fellows harness the principles of entrepreneurship and social innovation to develop interventions aimed at influencing systems change in their area of focus.
Leveraging the MaRS ecosystem, the Fellows work within four cluster sectors—the future of energy and the environment; the future of health; the future of work and learning; and the future of finance and commerce —each with a focus on social innovation and systems change. This uniquely positions the Fellows to dive deep into issues within their given sector, while also uncovering cross-sectoral links
About MaRS EXCITE (#MaRSEXCITE)
As Canada’s largest provider of entrepreneurship education programs, MaRS equips innovators and entrepreneurs with the skills and tools they need to succeed. We also support more than 1,000 technology ventures across three critical sectors—health, information & communications technology (ICT), and cleantech—helping them grow and scale through a combination of hands-on, expert advice and mentorship, market intelligence, and critical connections to capital, talent and customer networks. MaRS works with a range of Ontario-wide and global partners (corporations, government, academia and others) to address system-level barriers and open markets to new innovations.
EXCITE is a program to evaluate innovative, disruptive health technologies through a single, harmonized, evidence-based process in the pre-market and/or pre-adoption space that will optimize patient outcomes and/or health system efficiencies. The value-add of EXCITE is that the process allows for evidence generation (called the Core Evidentiary Bundle) that is relevant to both the regulator and payer and has the capacity to minimize time and cost to market for innovative technologies, thereby allowing patients to access innovative solutions more expeditiously. With 65 applications received and 38 selected for participation in the five years the program has been active, EXCITE has graduated its first technology and is now working with the Ontario Office of the Chief Health Innovation Strategist (Ministry of Health) on health system implementation considerations. The program is in an exciting growth mode as we conceive and build out our service offerings and capabilities in order to maximally impact innovation adoption of health technologies locally, nationally and internationally.
Who are we looking for?
MaRS Studio Y Fellows possess a positive outlook and are smart, curious, energetic and engaged in the world around them. They are young people who have demonstrated leadership and engagement in one of our key cluster areas, are keen to develop professionally as Systems Leaders and are at the right stage to benefit from the program and the placement opportunity. Beyond this, there are specific knowledge and skill requirements for each placement role, as detailed below.
Studio Y Placement Fellow, EXCITE
- Support the build-out of a procurement function within the EXCITE algorithm (opportunity to leverage learning from other MaRS and ecosystem programs)
- Support connectivity to other ecosystem programs/funding opportunities both locally and nationally to increase program revenue generation capabilities
- Support the build out of a pan-Canadian EXCITE strategy – creating a health system adoption pathway with at least one other province outside Ontario that can leverage the EXCITE process
- Support Director & Project Manager with health system Conditions of Adoption work
- Work in alignment with other business units within MaRS to support the overall strategic goals of the organization
- Provide logistical and administrative support for the MaRS EXCITE program as needed
- Biological Sciences or Health Degree Program
- Strong background in research, information integration and synthesis and able to produce high-calibre output
- Background in health system reform an asset
- Knowledge of health tech / medical technologies an asset
- Familiar with the Ontario health system stakeholders an asset
- Facilitation experience an asset
- Ability to multi-task and effectively prioritize tasks to achieve successful attainment of deliverables
- Professional manner, excellent written and verbal skills
- Ability to interact with various stakeholders professionally and with high integrity
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Highly attentive to detail, as they relate to compliance process and overall standards
- Able to handle proprietary and confidential materials with care and discretion
- Personal accountability and commitment to achieving and exceeding goals and objectives
- Self-motivated: able to work effectively both independently or collaboratively as a team member
The fine print
You must be eligible for the Studio Y Fellowship program to be eligible for the Studio Y Placements. You can find more information here: studioy.marsdd.com/apply/ You must be available for the duration of the program: September 15th, 2017 – May 28th, 2018.
What it’s like to work at MaRS
MaRS Centre is a vibrant, architecturally inspiring innovation hub with 1.5 million square feet of laboratory, collaboration, and office space connected directly to the Queens Parks subway stop at College and University. MaRS employees enjoy many perks such as:
- Access to a wide array of fascinating conferences and lectures hosted by MaRS.
- A very active social committee that organizes potlucks, “serendipity coffee” dates, the annual MaRS Summer Games, team building outings, and summer golf day.
- The MaRS softball team, yoga at noon, and discounted gym membership
- Indoor bike parking and showers
Our mission-driven organization is filled with passionate, smart people who are finding and turning the levers that will move the economic needle of Canada’s technology-based future.
For more about what it’s like to work at MaRS and why you might want to be a part of something bigger than yourself, check out our profile on B Meaningful.
General office environment with operating business hours of 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
Applications are due by 11:59am Eastern Time on June 28, 2017.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Ontario.
MaRS Discovery District is committed to diversity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including aboriginal persons, francophones, members of sexual minority groups, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and women. We will provide any requested accommodation to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.