Studio Y Fellowship Placement - Venture Services, Work and Learning
- Close Date
- June 28th, 2017
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST APPLY TO BOTH THE FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM AND THE PLACEMENT OPPORTUNITY TO BE CONSIDERED. YOU MUST APPLY TO BOTH THROUGH THE FELLOWSHIP APPLICATION HERE: studioy.marsdd.com/apply/
Want to join the Studio Y Fellowship and a Studio Y Placement at MaRS?
Studio Y Placements are opportunities for Fellows to work full-time with a business unit at MaRS over the course of the Studio Y Fellowship program. The Studio Y model focuses on work-integrated learning that encourages participants to apply the skills and tools they develop during the Fellowship program in their work. Placements are a full-time commitment over the 8 months of the program: September 15th – May 28th. Placement Fellows will be a full member of a MaRS business unit and will be accountable for their deliverables to both the Fellowship and the unit. Fellows will report directly to their MaRS team manager. Please carefully read the job posting and the fellowship description for an understanding of this dual role.
You can learn more about the Fellowship here: http://studioy.marsdd.com/studio-y-fellowship/
MaRS Discovery District (@MaRSDD) in Toronto is the one of the world’s largest urban innovation hubs. MaRS supports promising young ventures tackling key societal challenges in the Health, Energy & Environment, Work & Learning and Finance & Commerce sectors. In addition to helping startups launch, grow and scale their businesses, the MaRS community is dedicated to cross-disciplinary collaboration, system transformation to increase innovation adoption, and driving ideas to impact.
About Studio Y
Studio Y is a platform that supports young people in becoming top-performing systems leaders. Housed within MaRS Discovery District, Studio Y convenes young leaders, top thinkers, entrepreneurs, researchers, non-profit professionals and public bodies to tackle the complex economic and social challenges that Canada is facing today. In 2014, Studio Y established a fully funded fellowship to equip high-performing young leaders with the skills they need to accelerate their impact and tackle complex problems. Through flexible programming and experiential learning, the Studio Y Fellows harness the principles of entrepreneurship and social innovation to develop interventions aimed at influencing systems change in their area of focus.
Leveraging the MaRS ecosystem, the Fellows work within four cluster sectors—the future of energy and the environment; the future of health; the future of work and learning; and the future of finance and commerce —each with a focus on social innovation and systems change. This uniquely positions the Fellows to dive deep into issues within their given sector, while also uncovering cross-sectoral links
About Venture Services
MaRS Venture Services works closely with high-impact, growth-oriented ventures to commercialize their breakthrough technology innovations. From idea to growth and scale, Venture Services’ team of accomplished entrepreneurs and experienced business leaders supports over 1000 ventures annually, providing them with mentorship and strategic advice, as well as connections to a robust network of investors, industry specialists, corporate partners, media and talent.
Who are we looking for?
MaRS Studio Y Fellows possess a positive outlook and are smart, curious, energetic and engaged in the world around them. They are young people who have demonstrated leadership and engagement in one of our key cluster areas, are keen to develop professionally as Systems Leaders and are at the right stage to benefit from the program and the placement opportunity. Beyond this, there are specific knowledge and skill requirements for each placement role, as detailed below.
Studio Y Placement Fellow, Work and Learning
The Studio Y Fellow, Work & Learning will be the primary point of contact for a select group of entrepreneurs/startups looking for information on how to engage with MaRS. The Studio Y Fellow will manage operations and deliver venture programming to startups, as well as screen, onboard and monitor their progress. Additionally, the Studio Y Fellow will provide logistical and administrative support to the Work & Learning team, including program management, communications, event planning and execution, data entry and meeting management. As a key member of the team, the Studio Y Fellow will support diverse strategic projects as needed, and act as an innovation and MaRS advocate in the Work & Learning community. The Studio Y Fellow will also be the Work and Learning prime for a Workforce Transformation Corporate Education program offered in partnership with Studio Y.
Position Responsibilities and Essential Functions
- Manage part of operations of the Work & Learning Venture Services, including:
- Community engagement (support partner relationship management, management of event creation and delivery, joint content creation)
- Oversee events and communication
- Manage the delivery of programming for ventures
- Update venture portfolio and information as required
- Become a knowledge center for part of the Work and Learning portfolio and manage the flow of information in Venture Services
- Act as a central point of contact for internal and external requests, assessing and directing enquiries as appropriate
- Responsible for some monthly, quarterly and annual reporting on activities including: program outcome(s) and venture highlights, venture portfolio, and events
- Develops/maintains relationships within a community made up of: Entrepreneurs and members of the startup community, internal MaRS Staff, and members of other innovation centres, external delegations, etc.
- Passion for entrepreneurship, building businesses and social innovation a must!
- Excited by the challenges we are facing in the future of work and learning.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree and 2 years of relevant work experience
- Experience in startups or high paced program oriented work environments a significant advantage
- Maturity and high level of personal integrity
- Self-motivated – able to work independently or as a team member
- Personal accountability and commitment to achieving and exceeding goals and objective
- Experience in client-facing roles an advantage
- Experience with social media tools an advantage
- Experience with Salesforce.com/CRM tool an asset
- Superior project / organizational coordination skills
- Strong capabilities in MS PowerPoint, and Excel
- Strong communications skills – oral, written, and presentation skills
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to quickly changing environment
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, high energy environment
The fine print
You must be eligible for the Studio Y Fellowship program to be eligible for the Studio Y Placements. You can find more information here: studioy.marsdd.com/apply/ You must be available for the duration of the program: September 15th, 2017 – May 28th ,2018.
What it’s like to work at MaRS
MaRS Centre is a vibrant, architecturally inspiring innovation hub with 1.5 million square feet of laboratory, collaboration, and office space connected directly to the Queens Parks subway stop at College and University. MaRS employees enjoy many perks such as:
- Access to a wide array of fascinating conferences and lectures hosted by MaRS.
- A very active social committee that organizes potlucks, “serendipity coffee” dates, the annual MaRS Summer Games, team building outings, and summer golf day.
- The MaRS softball team, yoga at noon, and discounted gym membership
- Indoor bike parking and showers
Our mission-driven organization is filled with passionate, smart people who are finding and turning the levers that will move the economic needle of Canada’s technology-based future.
For more about what it’s like to work at MaRS and why you might want to be a part of something bigger than yourself, check out our profile on B Meaningful.
General office environment with operating business hours of 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
Applications are due by 11:59am Eastern Time on June 28th, 2017.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Ontario.
MaRS Discovery District is committed to diversity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including aboriginal persons, francophones, members of sexual minority groups, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and women. We will provide any requested accommodation to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.